- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- ** Next time I make this, I’ll add chopped green onions and some grated cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place an 8-inch cast iron skillet in the oven to preheat.
- Combine the butter, milk, cornmeal and brown sugar in a medium saucepan. Bring to a slow, steady simmer and whisk for a few minutes until thickened.
- Add eggs, baking powder and salt in a large bowl and whisk lightly. Add cornmeal mixture and stir until well combined.
- Oil the cast iron skillet and pour in the batter. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until cornbread is golden around the edges and cooked through. Watch carefully.
Adapted from Michael Smith, Chef at Home