Lexi and I had fun making these a couple of weeks before Christmas. This rolled cookie dough is easy to work with and she did a great job using the cookie cutters. I think her favourite part was decorating the cookies with sprinkles (and sampling at frequent intervals). This recipe makes at least 5 dozen small cookies. You could half the recipe and freeze half the dough.
- 1 1/2 cups softened butter
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp organic vanilla extract
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- Cream butter and sugar until smooth.
- Add eggs, one at a time, then vanilla extract.
- Stir in the dry ingredients.
- Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and chill in the frig for a couple of hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Roll out dough on floured cutting board to 1/4″ thick.
- Cut out with cookie cutters and place 1″ apart on parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Sprinkle coloured sugar on top if you don’t plan to ice them.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes. Watch carefully as they start to brown around the edges quickly.
- Cool completely, then decorate with icing.