For 4 servings:
- 2 skinless boneless chicken breasts, sliced in long 1/2 inch strips
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 head organic romaine, in bite-sized pieces
- 4 handfuls baby arugula
- 1 bunch cilantro (or to taste)
- 4 green onions, sliced thinly
- 2 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained (398 ml)
- 1 cup frozen corn niblets
- 2 avocados, pitted, peeled and sliced
- Tortilla chips, crumbled
- 2 limes, juiced and zested
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup or honey
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- pinch of salt
- 1-2 tsp chipotle sauce
Slice the chicken into long thin strips. Whisk together the cornmeal, chili powder and salt and dredge the chicken in this mixture. Pre heat a sauté pan over medium high heat and splash in the oil. Lightly fry the chicken strips until they are golden and crispy and cooked through.
Toss the romaine, arugula, cilantro and green onion together in a large salad bowl. Mound the tomatoes, corn niblets and black beans in the centre and arrange the avocado slices around the outside. Top with the tortilla chips and the chicken strips.
Whisk the dressing ingredients together until smooth then pour over the salad.
This recipe was adapted from Chef At Home, Food Network Canada