The contrast of the salty prosciutto and the sweet blackberry sauce was perfectly balanced in this appetizer and is one I’ll make again and again. We bought some fresh scallops from Mad Dog Crabs while we were there to pick up some fresh crab for our Crab Boats. These were very quick and easy to prepare.
- 4 slices prosciutto, sliced lengthwise
- 8 large scallops
- 2 Tbsp best quality balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Cherry Point Vineyard Blackberry wine
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped shallots
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup EV Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Wrap the scallops with the prosciutto and secure with a toothpick. Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake at 375 F. for 15 minutes or until the scallops are opalescent. Be careful not to over cook. They will continue to cook slightly after being removed from the oven.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, blackberry wine, sugar and pepper. Slowly whisk in the oil. Plate the scallops and drizzle the blackberry sauce over the top.
- Variation: Marinate fresh blackberries, sliced strawberries or other fresh berries in the balsamic-wine sauce and arrange on top of the warm scallops. Serve immediately.