Organic lemons were on sale this week, so it seemed like a good time to make some lemon sauce for the freezer. If I’m zesting citrus fruit, I’ll only use organic. Organic lemons may sometimes not look as pretty as their non-organic counterparts, but they often have a lot more flavour.
This sauce can be used to enhance many desserts such as pound cake, bread pudding, gingerbread, or cheesecake.
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 5 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 heaping tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt in a small saucepan.
- Add boiling water and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick and clear.
- Stir in lemon zest, juice and butter.
- Serve warm over a cake, dessert, or bread pudding.
You might also like: