These little guys have been a Christmas tradition in our home for well over 25 years. They have just the right amount of ginger (not too much) and just the right amount of molasses (not too strong). Lexi and I have made these together for the past few Christmases, and now it’s Halle’s turn too!
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ginger
- 1 tsp. cloves
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup fancy molasses
- 1 egg
- 3 1/4 cups unbleached flour
- Combine all ingredients, except the flour; blend at low speed until moistened. Beat 2 minutes on medium speed.
- By hand, stir in flour until well blended.
- Chill dough for 30 to 60 minutes before rolling.
- Roll out 1/8 inch thick, cut with cookie cutters.
- Bake at 350 F. for 8 – 10 minutes.
- Cool 2 minutes before removing from pan. Decorate with Royal Icing.
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup icing sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Lemon juice to make it spreadable. Use VERY sparingly. A little goes a long way.