Guess what’s open?
Eating fresh-picked asparagus from the farm is a completely different experience than eating asparagus imported from Mexico. While I usually serve it cooked: steamed, sautéed, roasted or stir-fried, tonight we had it raw. This shaved asparagus salad has a great balance of creamy and crispy textures.
Use the thicker spears for this salad. They are easier to shave with a vegetable peeler and generally have more flavour.
- 12 large asparagus spears, trimmed and peeled
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan plus a few shaved pieces for garnish
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
Use a vegetable peeler to shave asparagus spears into long, thin shavings. Transfer to a medium bowl along with the tips. Combine grated Parmesan and lemon juice in a small bowl and slowly whisk in oil until well blended. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle vinaigrette over shaved asparagus and toss to coat. Divide asparagus salad among serving dishes. Shave more fresh parmesan over salad and serve.