February is Heart Month and today is Valentine’s Day. Let’s skip the chocolate (nooooooo . . . ) and be kind to our hearts.
I learned something new today. I’ve always known that kiwi fruit were a good source of Vitamin C, but I wasn’t aware of all the other benefits of this fuzzy little fruit. While our kiwifruit usually come from New Zealand or California, this week I bought some that were grown in Italy. Sweet, firm and juicy–absolutely perfect.
I learned that two kiwifruit contain as much potassium as a banana, and twice as much Vitamin C as an orange. They are an excellent source of fiber, even if you don’t eat the skin (which is NOT weird in your mouth and is fine to eat as long as you scrub it first). Eaten regularly, kiwifruit is a heart-healthy choice as it can thin the blood and reduce blood clotting and lower triglycerides. Not only that, it is also a good source of magnesium.
We had this as a side salad with our dinner. It was simple to prepare and contains no oil. Zero. And we didn’t miss it one bit. Tossing in some toasted walnuts added to its heart-healthy benefits as they help to lower cholesterol as well. All you have to do is simply slice the cucumbers, marinate them for a while in the vinegars, then arrange with the sliced kiwi on top of greens of your choice and top with the walnuts.
- 1/2 long English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 3 – 4 small kiwi fruit, thinly sliced, (peeled or unpeeled)
- 2 cups baby spinach or other greens
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts
- 2 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. white balsamic vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- 1/2 tsp. dried dill (or 1 tsp. fresh chopped dill)
- pinch of salt and pepper to taste
1. Whisk together the vinegars, dill, salt and pepper.
2. Thinly slice the cucumber. Toss it with the vinegar mixture in a small bowl.
Let stand for 15- 20 minutes to allow the cucumbers to marinate.
3. Toast the walnuts for about 5 minutes in a 400F. oven or until fragrant. Allow to cool.
4. Arrange the greens on a platter.
5. Slice the kiwi.
5. Arrange the cucumbers on top of the greens, top with the kiwifruit and the toasted walnuts. Drizzle some of the remaining vinegars on top and serve.