I like knowing that I’ve started my day filling my body with the anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, anti-cancer, anti-aging, anti-Alzheimer’s, liver detox (the list goes on . . .) benefits of turmeric and ginger, so today I used some of the same ingredients in my morning smoothie.
Here are both recipes, and here’s to your health!
Warm Turmeric Cinnamon Milk
- 1 cup milk (almond, coconut, or dairy)
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1/4 tsp. each of ground turmeric, ginger, cinnamon and cardamom
- freshly ground black pepper
In a small saucepan, gently heat the milk of your choice with the honey. Whisk in the spices. Bring to the point where it is almost boiling, then remove from heat. Add some freshly ground pepper, stir with a cinnamon stick and serve.
But hold on! Who has time in the morning to open all those little jars and measure these ingredients? Not me. After the first time, I decided that once was enough so I made a big batch. Now I just add 1 tsp of the powdered spices. If you have fresh ginger or fresh turmeric (and time) the flavour is definitely heightened, so go for it.
Tropical Turmeric Smoothie
- 1 cup coconut, almond or dairy milk
- 1/2 fresh or frozen banana
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen mango chunks
- 1/2 tsp. each ground turmeric, ginger, cinnamon and cardamom
- 1 tsp honey (unless your fruit is really ripe and naturally sweet)
- 1 – 2 Tbsp. hemp seeds or chia seeds
- dash of sea salt or pepper
- a few ice cubes, if you find it is too thick
Toss it all in your blender and blend until smooth.
Ha! Here’s the REAL photo.
You might also like: